Wednesday, March 23, 2016

Healthy Turkey Meatballs and Zoodles

I really did a lot of work over the last year to figure out healthier versions of the foods I love. What I love to do most now is help people with finding healthier swaps that may work well for them too! So this recipe is for you pasta lovers out there and those who love Italian food and are afraid that you'll have to "give it all up" now that you're trying to be healthier!

I'm not a supporter of completely cutting things out of my diet. In fact I don't diet. I find foods that are healthier versions of what I used to love- foods that will give me  more energy, make my skin glow and help fuel my metabolism. All of this is really important and by having just a few swaps that you love, it can make all the difference. So for example- I LOVE pasta! But I know I can't eat it all day, every day. It makes me bloated and not to mention sluggish. So a GREAT alternative is zoodles. You can get a zoodler online (through Amazon) or you can take a peeler and carefully make noodles that way.

I used a peeler for my zoodles of this meal and sautéed the zucchini in 2 tsp of olive oil with a splash of water a little pepper, basil and oregano to season. Cook for about 3-5 minutes until softened up a bit- but not mushy!

The turkey meatballs are a great crockpot meal that you can use as part of your food prep. You could also make a double batch of meatballs and put the other batch in the freezer for another meal at a later time.



Here's the recipe for the turkey meatballs:

Turkey Meatballs

Ingredients

  • 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
  • 1 large egg
  • 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella or parmesan cheese
  • 1/3 cup bread crumbs (I used gluten free- you could also toast up some bread and and make into bread crumbs in a food processor!)
  • 1 tsp Bragg's liquid aminos 
  • 1 tsp each of basil, oregano, onion and garlic powder
  • 1/4 tsp of salt and pepper
  • Sprinkle of cayenne pepper (optional)
Directions

  • Combine all dry ingredients in a bowl and mix together
  • Combine turkey, egg and liquid aminos and mix together well
  • The add dry ingredients to turkey and mix well
  • Form into balls (should make about 10-12 meatballs)
  • Pan fry meatballs for about 4-6 minutes in skillet with cooking spray to get a nice golden brown color- turning every 1-2 minutes.
  • You can then put into crockpot on high with tomato sauce and cook for about 2-2.5 hours
  • Another option if freezing right other batch or if eating immediately is to cook meatballs in oven at 375 for 10-12 minutes or until cooked completely through.
Enjoy!

No comments :

Post a Comment