Friday, January 15, 2016

Chocolate Microwave Mug Cake

I can't tell you how many times I have tried to make a mug cake and it either came out way too dry or was cooking a ton on the sides, but not enough in the middle! Maybe you can relate??

I decided to make one yesterday because I was due for a snack and figured this would be a great way to get a protein serving, healthy fat and fruit in and let's be honest...I wanted CHOCOLATE...bad. There's always a healthier alternative to your cravings...you just have to get a little creative!

I don't know what it is, but sometimes when I'm hangry, I come up with some pretty awesome recipes haha So I hope you enjoy this one. It's a guilt free way to cure your chocolate craving!

There are a few helpful tips that I discovered that I'll share with you first...

1- the art getting these mug cakes to bake evenly is getting a wide coffee mug. A lot of  coffee mugs are short and more slender, but if you have one that is wider- it works wonderfully. Like a big hot cocoa mug. I think it just helps the liquid evenly cook better.

2-It comes down to timing. You should microwave the cake for 1 minute 30 seconds and then check it every 10 seconds thereafter. I microwaved mine for about 2 min 10 seconds, but yours may vary.

3- a recipe that has the right consistency of both dry ingredients and liquid ingredients- which I have!



Ingredients

  • 1 scoop protein powder (I used vegan chocolate Shakeology)
  • 1/4  tsp baking powder
  • 5 tbsp unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
  • 3-4 drops of liquid stevia (or 1 tsp honey to sweeten)
  • 1 tsp coconut oil (melted)
  • 1/4 cup egg whites
  • 5 dark chocolate chips
Directions

  • In a separate bowl, combine Shakeology and baking powder, then all wet ingredients and mix until smooth like cake batter. 
  • Melt 1 tsp coconut oil in mug in the microwave for about 20 seconds
  • Swirl the melted coconut around in the mug to make sure the edges are oiled to bake in the microwave.
  • Pour in half the batter and then add in chocolate chips (you could even add in a tsp of nut butter too if you wanted!) then add remaining batter
  • Microwave the mug cake for 1 min 30 seconds and then 10 second intervals from there until firmly set. 
  • Take a butter knife and move it around the outside of the cake edges. 
  • Take a plate and place on top of the mug and flip over. (The cake should come out easily!)
  • Garnish with whatever your heart desires! I used 1/2 cup mixed berries and 1 tsp unsweetened coconut flakes :)
Enjoy! Xo

No comments :

Post a Comment